Top 10 Things to Do in The Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country with plenty to see and do. Here are 10 things not to miss while you're there.
1. Visit the capital, Santo Domingo. This historic city is home to the first cathedral and university in the Americas, as well as numerous museums and attractions.
2. Soak up the sun on one of the Dominican Republic's many beaches. Playa Rincón is a popular spot for surfing, while Playa Grande is perfect for swimming and relaxing.
3. Explore the island of Hispaniola on a jeep safari. This is a great way to see the rugged landscapes and native wildlife of the Dominican Republic.
4. Take a hike to El Limón Waterfall, one of the tallest waterfalls in the Caribbean. The hike can be challenging, but it's worth it for the stunning views from the top.
5. Go whale watching off the coast of Samaná Bay. Humpback whales migrate to these waters each year between January and March, making it one of the best places in the world to see these majestic creatures up close.
6. Visit Los Tres Ojos, a series of three limestone caves filled with crystal-clear water. The caves are located in an urban area, so they're easy to reach and make for a fun day trip from Santo Domingo.
7. Learn about Dominican history at Fortaleza Ozama, an 16th-century Spanish fort located in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone. The fort has been restored and now houses a museum where you can learn about its fascinating past.
8. Don't miss a chance to try some authentic Dominican food! Popular dishes include sancocho (a stew made with chicken, beef or seafood), mangu (mashed plantains) and rabo encendido (spicy stewed abscond). For dessert, try some fresh pineapple or papaya drizzled with honey. Delicious!
9. Shop for hand-crafted souvenirs at Mercado Modelo in Santo Domingo's colonial zone. Here you'll find artwork, jewelry, clothing and more created by local artisans.
10. Spend an evening enjoying some traditional Dominican music and dance at Casa de Teatro in Santo Domingo. This popular theater offers performances ranging from folkloric dances to contemporary plays."