Top 10 Things to Do in El Salvador
El Salvador is a small Central American country with a lot to offer visitors. From its beaches and surfing to its colonial cities and lush mountains, there's something for everyone in El Salvador. Here are ten of the best things to do in this diverse and fascinating country:
1. Surf at La Libertad: La Libertad is one of the best places in El Salvador for surfing, with great waves for both beginners and experienced surfers.
2. Visit the archaeological site of Joya de Cerén: This UNESCO World Heritage site is a must-see for anyone interested in Mayan history and culture. The site includes the remains of a village that was destroyed by a volcanic eruption in the 7th century.
3. Explore the colonial city of San Miguel: Founded in 1530, San Miguel is one of the oldest cities in El Salvador. Its charming colonial architecture makes it a popular tourist destination.
4. Swim in the volcanic crater lake of Coatepeque: Coatepeque is a beautiful lake located in the crater of an inactive volcano. Visitors can swim, hike, or simply enjoy the views.
5. Go birdwatching in the Alegría National Park: Alegría is home to a variety of bird species, including several endangered species. It's a great place for birdwatching and hiking.
6. Learn about coffee production at Finca el Carmen: Finca el Carmen is a working coffee farm that offers tours and tastings to visitors. It's a great way to learn about one of El Salvador's most important exports.
7. Visit the town of Suchitoto: Suchitoto is a picturesque town located in the north of El Salvador. It's known for its traditional architecture and artisans market.
8. Take a dip in the Juhuixtita hot springs: These sulfur-rich hot springs are said to have health benefits and make for a relaxing day trip from San Salvador.
9. Hike to the top of Cerro Verde: Cerro Verde is an inactive volcano with stunning views from its summit. The hike to the top takes about four hours round trip and isn't too challenging.
10. Go whale watching off the coast of Ceiba: Ceiba is one of the best places in El Salvador to see humpback whales migrating through waters between December and April . Whale watching tours are available from November to April .