Top 10 Things to Do in Suriname
Suriname is a country located in the north-eastern part of South America. Bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, Guyana, French Guiana, and Brazil, Suriname is the smallest country in South America. Despite its size, Suriname has a lot to offer tourists. Here are ten things to do while visiting Suriname:
1. Visit Paramaribo, the capital city. Paramaribo is a UNESCO World Heritage site due to its colonial architecture.
2. Explore the rainforest. Suriname is over 90% rainforest, and there are many tour companies that offer guided hikes and treks.
3. Visit Brownsberg Nature Park. This nature park is home to many different species of plants and animals, including Howler monkeys and sloths.
4. Take a boat ride down the Suriname River. The Suriname River is one of the longest rivers in South America, and it runs through the heart of the rainforest.
5. Learn about the Maroon culture. The Maroons are descendants of African slaves who escaped from plantations and established their own communities in the rainforest.
6. Visit Fort Zeelandia. This former Dutch fort was built in 1667 and is now a museum that houses artifacts from Suriname's colonial history.
7. Go birdwatching. Suriname is home to over 600 different species of birds, including macaws, toucans, and herons.
8. Shop for locally made crafts. Suriname's artisans produce a wide variety of handmade goods, including woodcarvings, straw baskets, and beaded jewelry.
9. Try typical Surinamese food. Dishes like roti (a type of flatbread) and nasi goreng (fried rice) are popular street food items in Suriname.
10. Learn about Hinduism. Hinduism is the largest religion in Suriname , and there are many temples throughout the country where visitors can learn about this religion's beliefs and practices