Top 10 Things to Do in The Bahamas
The Bahamas are a chain of 700 islands in the Atlantic Ocean, and they offer visitors a stunning array of things to see and do. Whether you want to lounge on the beach, explore underwater ruins, or take in the local culture, there's something for everyone in The Bahamas. Here are just 10 of the many attractions that this beautiful country has to offer:
1. Enjoy the pristine beaches: With over 2,000 miles of coastline, The Bahamas is a beach lover's paradise. You can find everything from secluded coves to world-famous stretches of sand, so whether you're looking to relax or have some fun in the sun, you'll be sure to find the perfect spot.
2. Go snorkeling or diving: The clear turquoise waters around The Bahamas are teeming with marine life, making it a snorkeler's and diver's paradise. There are many companies that offer excursions, so you can easily find one that suits your level of experience.
3. Visit an underwater museum: If you're interested in exploring some of The Bahamas' fascinating history, be sure to check out the national underwater museum. Here you'll find artifacts from shipwrecks and sunken villages, as well as stories about the country's past.
4. Take a day trip to an uninhabited island: There are over 30 uninhabited islands in The Bahamas, so if you're looking for a truly unique experience, be sure to add one (or more!) to your itinerary. You can usually find day trips being offered from the larger inhabited islands.
5. Go kayaking or paddle boarding: With so much coastline and so many beautiful beaches, it's no surprise that water sports are popular in The Bahamas. Kayaking and paddle boarding are great ways to explore the area's waterways and get some exercise at the same time!
6. Explore the capital city of Nassau: Although it's not as large as some of the other cities in The Bahamas, Nassau offers plenty of things to see and do. Be sure to visit Fort Charlotte, the Straw Market, and the Queen's Staircase while you're there.
7. Visit a rum distillery: Rum is synonymous with The Bahamas, so be sure to visit one of the many rum distilleries on one of the islands. You'll learn about the rum-making process and get to sample some of the finished product!
8. Go birdwatching: With over 400 species of birds, The Bahamas is a paradise for birdwatchers. Keep your eyes peeled for brightly colored Bahama parrots, Bold-faced hornets, Great blue herons, and White-tailed tropicbirds as you explore the island chains.
9. Sample the local cuisine: Conch sandwiches (conch fritters), johnnycakes (fried cornbread), peas 'n' rice...the list goes on of delicious Bahamian dishes that you'll want to try during your visit!
10. Take a glass-bottom boat tour: If you'd like to see some of The Bahamas' amazing marine life without getting wet, consider taking a glass-bottom boat tour. These tours operate throughout most of the islands and provide an up-close look at reef systems and shipwrecks!