Top 10 Things to Do in Germany
Germany is a large and varied country with something to offer everyone, from historic cities and fairytale castles to beautiful countryside and lively nightlife. Here are ten of the best things to see and do on a trip to Germany:
1. Visit Berlin – the capital of Germany and a city steeped in history. Take a walking tour past famous landmarks like the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag, or explore the city’s many museums and art galleries.
2. See the Black Forest – a forested mountain range in southwestern Germany with picturesque villages, numerous trails for hiking and biking, and a well-developed tourist infrastructure.
3. Visit Cologne – one of Germany’s oldest cities, located on the banks of the Rhine River. Cologne Cathedral is a must-see, as is the fragrant Rhineland Museum which houses art and artifacts from the region.
4. Take a scenic drive along the Romantic Road – a route that winds its way through some of Bavaria’s most beautiful countryside, taking in medieval towns, castles, and churches along the way.
5. Go skiing or snowboarding in the Alps – some of Europe’s finest skiing can be found in the German Alps, with world-class resorts like Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Berchtesgaden beckoning winter sports enthusiasts from all over the world.
6. Drink beer in Munich – no trip to Germany would be complete without sampling some of the local beer in Munich, at one of the city’s many beer halls or gardens. The annual Oktoberfest celebrations are also not to be missed!
7. Explore Dresden – often called “the Florence of the Elbe” because of its numerous baroque buildings, Dresden is also home to important museums like the Green Vault which houses an exquisite collection of jewels and precious objects.
8. Visit Heidelberg Castle – one of Germany’s most iconic landmarks, this imposing fortress overlooks the city of Heidelberg and is well worth a visit for its views alone.
9. Take a boat ride down the Neckar River past vineyards and castles – one of the best ways to see Heidelberg (and avoid hill climbing!)
10. Visit Neuschwanstein Castle – perhaps Bavaria’s most famous castle, this 19th-century Fairytale Palace wasbuilt for King Ludwig II as a retreat from public life and inspired Disney’s Sleeping Beauty castle.