Top 10 Things to Do in Guyana
1. Visit Georgetown – Georgetown is the capital city of Guyana and is located on the Atlantic coast. There are a number of colonial buildings to explore, as well as markets and museums.
2. Take a trip to the Rupununi Savannah – The Rupununi Savannah is a grassland plain located in southern Guyana. It is home to a variety of animals, including jaguars, monkeys, and sloths.
3. Tour Kaieteur Falls – Kaieteur Falls is one of the tallest waterfalls in the world, with a height of 741 feet (226 meters). Visitors can view the base of the falls or go hiking in the nearby rainforest.
4. Stroll through the Botanical Gardens – The Botanical Gardens are located on the outskirts of Georgetown and feature a wide variety of plants and flowers. The gardens also have a number of birds and turtles.
5. Visit Amerindian villages – Guyana is home to a number of Amerindian tribes, including the Warrau,Wai Wai,Arawak,andCaribs. Visitors can learn about their culture and traditions by visiting one of the many Amerindian villages in Guyana.
6. Canoe down the Essequibo River – The Essequibo River is the longest river in Guyana and runs through the center of the country. Canoeing down the river is a great way to see some of Guyana’s wildlife, including caiman, turtles, and otters.
7. Go birdwatching in Shell Beach – Shell Beach is located on the east coast of Guyana and is home to a wide variety of birds, including pelicans, herons, and plovers.
8. Hike to Mt. Roraima – Mt. Roraima is an isolated tabletop mountain that straddles the border between Guyana, Venezuela, and Brazil. The summit can be reached via a challenging hike that takes about four days to complete.
9. Visit Iwokrama Forest Reserve – The Iwokrama Forest Reserve is located in central Guyana and covers an area of 1 million acres (400,000 hectares). The reserve is home to a variety of animals, including tapirs, eagles, and capybaras.
10 . Go fishing in Linden – Linden is a town located on the Demerara River in central Guyana . It is known for its clear waters which make it a popular spot for fishing.