Step-by-Step How to Get an FMM Card (Mexico Tourist Card)
Are you planning a trip to Mexico and still unsure how to obtain an FMM card? Applying for this document can initially seem a bit daunting and nerve-wracking, but it doesn’t have to be. We have all the info you need in this handy step-by-step guide on obtaining a Mexican tourist card. With just a few steps, you’ll soon be crossing your destination off your travel bucket list.
So let’s get started by diving into what exactly an FMM card is and why it’s essential for entering Mexico, and then we will move into the practical details of applying for one.
FMM Tourist Permit Details
- Validity for up to 180 Days.
- Required Documents include a valid passport or passport card.
- Eligibility U.S. Canadian and U.K. citizens.
In Mexico, the paper FMM permit is gradually being phased out and replaced with a passport stamp. It’s important to note that some ports of entry still use the traditional paper form, while others have used a stamp. Whichever you encounter at your port of entry, make sure you’re prepared accordingly.
About Tourist Card:
- Mexico’s INM issues the FMM, a crucial document for international travelers. (Instituto Nacional de Migración)
- It is commonly referred to as a tourist card or “visa,” though it is not technically classified.
- Whether you’re a U.S., Canadian, or another nationality looking for leisure travel opportunities, this visa can be issued to provide access to enjoyable and scenic experiences.
- Obtaining an FMM is simple and quick, as you can get one at any INM office near the border or retrieve it online. Nevertheless, stop at your nearby INM office for the official entry stamp upon arrival. Don’t forget to bring along your payment receipt if applicable.
- To gain entry, you must have a valid passport or passport card.
- A stamped FMM is essential for any land travel across Mexico.
- Enjoy a maximum stay of 180 days with this visa.
How Much Does the Mexican FMM Cost?
The cost of the Mexican tourist card is 595 pesos which is about USD 30.00. If you are staying for less than seven days, it is free.
If you plan to cross borders, it is recommended that you carry pesos since many checkpoints only accept payments in this currency. Although some allow payment with either US dollars or pesos, it is usually wiser to opt for the latter as transactions conducted in pesos are often subject to more favorable rates.
If you obtain your FMM permit online, you can quickly pay with a Visa or Mastercard. Paying the fee is safe and secure – enter your card information to finish the process.
What is the Mexican Tourist Card?
The FMM Tourist Permit (Forma Migratoria Múltiple) grants citizens and residents from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, European Schengen area countries, and several other nations access to Mexico without requiring them to apply for a visa.
This remarkable travel document provides an effortless way for those who wish to visit this beautiful country.
What Do I Need to Obtain a Mexican Tourist Permit?
- Valid Passport or Passport Card
- Completed FMM Form
- 595 Pesos (About $30.00 USD)
Mexico now offers a convenient and straightforward way to apply for your FMM Tourist Permit- an online form! All you have to do is fill out the application, pay with your Visa or Mastercard debit/credit card, then sit back until you receive an email with your approved permit.
Don’t forget – be sure to print it off and get it stamped at immigration upon entry into the country within thirty days of receiving confirmation.